Skip to main content

The country music cake



I've been missing in action.  The winter school holidays started and all of a sudden I found myself out of the house for two weeks. Away with girlfriends, staying with family, away from my laptop and reliable internet and out of mobile phone range.

Excuses, excuses! In my rush to go gallivanting around the countryside, I forgot to show off the third birthday cake I made for Mr Di-licious - the Country Music cake!


It's true Mr Di-licious loves both kinds of music as well as Earl Grey Tea and chocolate - so this cake for his party at home with a few friends was the perfect opportunity for me to have a little fun at his expense.

This chocolate cake (using my favourite chocolate party cake recipe) is filled with salted dulce de leche and covered in dark chocolate ganache.

The blue base tile, numbers and 'wooden paling' letters are made out of fondant.  The letters are hand cut and textured with a leaf veiner. I used biscuit cutters to cut out the numbers and impaled them onto toothpicks.

The cup I bought online on a whim less than two weeks before the party to create the ultimate country music fan dedication.  I had racked my brains for how I could convey his passion for country music that wasn't a cowboy hat, guitar or cowboy boots. I had to pay the express courier surcharge to get it delivered in time for the party (yikes) but the grin on Mr Di-licious' face was worth every cent.

The cup is actually filled with a couple of sticky date puddings that I had stashed in the fridge and two Earl Grey teabags.  I topped the cup up with some leftover Earl Grey chocolate ganache and sprinkled over Earl Grey praline.


From a design point of view this is a pretty simple cake.  What made it so successful was that it personified the birthday boy's interests with a little bit of humour.  (It also tasted di-licious!)

And now that the balloons have come down and the embarrassing photo board has been packed away, the mug is a lasting reminder of the party he had for his 40th and a reminder of the only time he was ever able to play country music all night without his friends complaining.

PS - if you missed the first two cakes, here they are:
A very special birthday
The Earl of chocolate cake

Comments

Maria said…
Oh I love that! What a cool cake!
Di you are so talented and creative! What a wonderful cake! :D
I love it when a lot of thought has been put into a birthday cake - it makes it meaningful AND delicious! Plus having the mug as a reminder is a great idea. After most birthday parties you're lucky to be left with a smudge of icing on the cake plate as proof the cake was ever there!
Domesblissity said…
Di

Sorry I missed commenting on this one. I've been so sick since last Friday. Taking forever to catch up on everyone's blogs. I'd say that husband of yours is one lucky fella!

Anne @ Domesblissity

Popular posts from this blog

My blog is making me fat

Temptation lurks everywhere. It’s official. My blog is making me fat. It’s also keeping my house messy since I started prioritising writing and baking over vacuuming and putting away laundry. In fact it’s happening right now – I’ve slept in because I stayed up to watch the new Kennedy’s drama on ABC and then wanted to ‘quickly’ check in to see if there were any new messages or comments. Before I know it its really late and that coffee I had after lunch has kicked in, giving me caffeine-induced heart palpitations, delaying sleep even further. Mr Di-licious (bless him) allowed me to sleep in and delivered a latte to my bedside. There’s a bowl of porridge waiting for me on the kitchen bench, ready to be reheated while I turn on my laptop and think about my next post. I used to get up early and go to the gym before breakfast but lately I’ve just been too tired. You know you’ve been MIA when you get notified about a trainer leaving and you’ve absolutely no idea who they’re talk

Cute owl cupcake toppers

Hoot Hoot!! How cute are these adorable owl cupcake toppers? I whipped these up last week for a special surprise birthday delivery for my niece. I've been making cupcakes for Hannah's birthdays for the last three years.  Its always interesting to look back at photos of earlier decorating efforts - I've come a long way.  Last year was sort of the p ièce de résistance   - the famed Golden Snitch cupcakes for her Harry Potter themed party. This year we were getting ready for our epic drive to Byron Bay for my sister's wedding , so we didn't make it to Bendigo.  So no Di-licious cupcakes for Hannah.  At least, that's what she thought! Last week I arranged to come and stay the night with Olive and I brought along half a dozen cute owl cupcakes - SURPRISE! We both agree that the embossed ones make the greatest impact but the plain pink ones are cute too. I re-purposed a scrapbooking card embosser to create the embossing effect (cheaper than the cak

Recipe rant

This is not a macaron Donna I did something yesterday that I'm not very proud of. I ranted on Twitter and Facebook about a bad recipe experience and named and shamed the culprit. This morning I felt a little ashamed for my lack of manners.  But then I got some feedback from friends and fans that they too had had a bad experience with the recipe and agreed it wasn't up to scratch. If the situation were reversed, I'd be mortified.  But then again, I'm a little voice in the blogging net-osphere. The magazine/author I targeted is a household name with 10+ years standing. I guess what really gets my goat is that the magazine blatantly promotes the fact that they test and retest the recipes to make sure that they're perfect. I followed the recipe to the letter and even I could see that the wheels were coming off early in the piece.  But I was following their recipe and I persevered. In the end I ended up with flat, grainy meringues, not beautiful macarons.