Skip to main content

The best sausage rolls in the whole wide world {Recipe}


Planning a party? Don't forget the sausage rolls. Want to really impress your guests?  Make them yourself.

Appealing to young and old alike, there's something about sausage mince encased in flaky pastry that just demands bottomless bowls of tomato sauce for dunking in. Originating from the UK, sausage rolls are almost a national food here in Australia.  No celebration is complete without them.

Like most things, there are sausage rolls and then there are sausage rolls.  Most are lovely, some are terrible and some transcend into the realm of bl##dy fantastic!

A good sausage roll will get talked about.  Some people will congratulate you, some may curse you behind their paper napkins and some will beg for the recipe.


Planning ahead for Mr Di-licious' recent party, I couldn't lay my hands on my favourite sausage roll recipe (a lesson learnt - if you like a recipe, clip it or write it in your recipe notebook!) Rather than tear the house apart looking for it I thought I'd try something new.

I turned to the matriarch of Australian cooking, Margaret Fulton and quite by accident found what could be the best sausage roll recipe ever in her Encycolpedia of Food and Cookery.

It's actually an amalgamation of two of her recipes - I used the sausage filling recipe from one and baked it according to the method of another recipe.



What makes these sausage rolls taste so good?

In a nutshell, they're moist and flavoursome.  I admit I used frozen, pre-rolled pastry sheets (I can only imagine how much better they'd be if I'd used Careme puff pastry).

But there is something else that elevates these sausage rolls above all others.....a secret ingredient.

Brandy.

Its hard to describe but these sausage rolls are really nothing like you've ever tasted before.  I couldn't heat them up fast enough at the party - kids and adults alike were clamouring for more.

And they were reviewed by the most important food critic in the land - my three year old daughter, Olive.  "Mummy, these are the best sausage rolls in the whole wide world!"  (and I wouldn't want to call her a liar.)



Recipe: The Best Sausage Rolls in the Whole Wide World
Recipe adapted from Margaret Fulton's Encyclopaedia of Food and Cookery
Makes 50-60 sausage rolls depending on size.

Ingredients
2 large onions, thinly sliced
30g butter
500g sausage mince
500g pork & veal mince
2 Tblsp brandy
2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1/2 tsp fresh sage, chopped
large pinch nutmeg
small pinch ground cloves
1//2 tsp salt
pepper
5 sheets ready rolled frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten

Method

  • In a frypan, melt butter and gently fry onion until soft but not brown.  Set aside to cool.
  • Preheat oven to 230°C
  • In a big bowl, place the cooked onion, minced meats, brandy, herbs, nutmeg, cloves, salt and pepper.  Using your hands, knead the ingredients together until well mixed through.
  • Cut each sheet of pastry in half to give 10 rectangles of pastry.
  • Divide the mixture into 10 even portions.
  • Roll each portion into a log the same length as the width of the pastry.
  • Place each roll of meat on the bottom edge of the pastry.
  • Brush along the exposed edge of pastry lightly with beaten egg and then roll up to enclose the meat.  Press to seal.
  • Cut each log into 5 or 6 pieces (according to your preference).
  • Place rolls onto tray lined with baking paper, allowing room for pastry to puff up.
  • Brush rolls lightly with beaten egg and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
  • Bake in preheated, very hot oven for 10 minutes and then reduce heat to 180°C and bake for another 10 minutes.
  • Serve hot with big bowls of tomato sauce for dunking.

NB: 
If made ahead, cool rolls on a wire rack.  Freeze for up to three months.  
Reheat from frozen in a 180°C oven for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Reheat unfrozen rolls in a 180°C oven for 5-8 minutes or until heated through.

Comments

Tuuli said…
These look great! I can't wait to try them out.
Domesblissity said…
Brandy you say Di? I'm not familiar to Marg's recipe but I'll keep it in mind. They look so good.

Anne @ Domesblissity
Unknown said…
Brandy!? I must try this recipe :)
Thanks for sharing.
Di, you're reading my mind! I made some sausage rolls this week and gave them to Mr NQN for lunch! And yes I had the same thought about using Careme pastry too! :P
Emma said…
I made some sausage rolls on christmas eve, so looking forward to homemade sausage rolls this christmas.

Look fantastic.

Popular posts from this blog

My blog is making me fat

Temptation lurks everywhere. It’s official. My blog is making me fat. It’s also keeping my house messy since I started prioritising writing and baking over vacuuming and putting away laundry. In fact it’s happening right now – I’ve slept in because I stayed up to watch the new Kennedy’s drama on ABC and then wanted to ‘quickly’ check in to see if there were any new messages or comments. Before I know it its really late and that coffee I had after lunch has kicked in, giving me caffeine-induced heart palpitations, delaying sleep even further. Mr Di-licious (bless him) allowed me to sleep in and delivered a latte to my bedside. There’s a bowl of porridge waiting for me on the kitchen bench, ready to be reheated while I turn on my laptop and think about my next post. I used to get up early and go to the gym before breakfast but lately I’ve just been too tired. You know you’ve been MIA when you get notified about a trainer leaving and you’ve absolutely no idea who they’re talk

Cute owl cupcake toppers

Hoot Hoot!! How cute are these adorable owl cupcake toppers? I whipped these up last week for a special surprise birthday delivery for my niece. I've been making cupcakes for Hannah's birthdays for the last three years.  Its always interesting to look back at photos of earlier decorating efforts - I've come a long way.  Last year was sort of the p ièce de résistance   - the famed Golden Snitch cupcakes for her Harry Potter themed party. This year we were getting ready for our epic drive to Byron Bay for my sister's wedding , so we didn't make it to Bendigo.  So no Di-licious cupcakes for Hannah.  At least, that's what she thought! Last week I arranged to come and stay the night with Olive and I brought along half a dozen cute owl cupcakes - SURPRISE! We both agree that the embossed ones make the greatest impact but the plain pink ones are cute too. I re-purposed a scrapbooking card embosser to create the embossing effect (cheaper than the cak

Recipe rant

This is not a macaron Donna I did something yesterday that I'm not very proud of. I ranted on Twitter and Facebook about a bad recipe experience and named and shamed the culprit. This morning I felt a little ashamed for my lack of manners.  But then I got some feedback from friends and fans that they too had had a bad experience with the recipe and agreed it wasn't up to scratch. If the situation were reversed, I'd be mortified.  But then again, I'm a little voice in the blogging net-osphere. The magazine/author I targeted is a household name with 10+ years standing. I guess what really gets my goat is that the magazine blatantly promotes the fact that they test and retest the recipes to make sure that they're perfect. I followed the recipe to the letter and even I could see that the wheels were coming off early in the piece.  But I was following their recipe and I persevered. In the end I ended up with flat, grainy meringues, not beautiful macarons.