Skip to main content

Rainy Day Double Choc Cookies {Recipe}


This week Olive and I went on an eBay road trip to pick up her 'new' tap shoes. I could have just had them posted but I had an ulterior motive.  The pick-up location, although right over the other side of town, was reasonably close to my old neighbourhood which happens to be a mecca for great food and coffee.

After picking up the tap shoes (and bonus ballet shoes the seller thoughtfully included) I was looking forward to lunch.  But as soon as I pulled out of the car park, the sky turned black and the rain started to pour.  Bugger.  I kissed my lovely lunch dreams goodbye and did what any sane parent of a three year old would do in the same situation - I headed for the nearest shopping centre with an underground car park.

Ten minutes later I was sitting in the food court eating  ricepaper rolls while Olive got Happy (I think you know what I'm talking about).  Not quite the foodie experience I'd been hoping for.

Every cloud has a silver lining and as I sat there amidst the sea of tables and chairs, I thought of a way I could redeem my afternoon.  Instead of buying an inadequate food court coffee, we jumped in the car and hurtled home to switch on the oven and coffee machine.


Within 20 minutes of walking in the door we were sitting down to still warm double choc cookies that I'd stashed in the freezer for a 'rainy day'.   Umbrellas and gumboots are entirely optional.

Recipe: Rainy Day Double Choc Cookies
Recipe from In the Kitchen (Allan Campion and Michelle Curtis) 
Makes: 40+ cookies

Ingredients
150g soft butter
150g caster sugar
100g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
150g self raising flour
100g plain flour
50g cocoa
190g small chocolate chips (dark, white, milk or a mix - whatever you have)

Method

  • Preheat oven to 180C and line two baking sheets with baking paper.
  • Cream the butter, sugars and vanilla until light and fluffy.
  • Add the egg and beat well until combined.
  • Sift together the flours and cocoa and then stir into the mix, taking care not to over mix.  
  • Finally fold through the chocolate chips.
  • Roll level tablespoons (UK/US 15ml tablespoon) of the mixture into balls and place them evenly on the baking sheets allowing room to spread.
  • Gently flatten them with a fork or spoon. (You can flash freeze the cookies at this point to bake at another time.)
  • Bake in preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes - they should be dry on top and still slightly soft in the centre.
  • Remove from the trays from the oven and leave to cool on a cake rack.
  • Store in an airtight container.


Freezing Notes:

  • To freeze uncooked cookies, place flattened cookies onto baking paper lined tray and place it in freezer for at least 30 minutes.  Transfer frozen cookies into an airtight container and freeze up to three months. 
  • Bake straight from frozen in a 180C preheated oven for 10 minutes whenever the urge for freshly baked cookies strikes.

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow, these look amazing!! Super soft and perfect accompaniment to coffee! Great thinking :)
Unknown said…
Thanks Dee! They really are moreish.
Katrina said…
I'll do you a trade - you bring these and I'll bring the strawberry jubes. These look fantastic!
What a great day for Olive - new tap shoes AND chocolate cookies! These look wonderful - I imagine they'd be nice and soft/chewy/fudgy/perfection on the inside. Will definitely give this recipe a try.
Unknown said…
@Katrina - its a deal!

@Keely - oh yes, Olive was very pleased on both counts. :-D
Anonymous said…
Hi there! Can I just say your blog looks soooo delicious it's making my mouth water even though i've just had dinner! The cookies look amazing!
Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a rainy afternoon-much better than food court coffee! ;)
Joyti said…
Those sound perfect for a rainy day. Or any day, really...they sound delicious.
Unknown said…
@Kimberley - thank you. I hope you saved some room for dessert! Thanks for visiting!

@Lorraine - my unspoken rule is NEVER drink food court coffee....life is too short for bad coffee as well!

@Indie-Tea - yep, everyday yumminess! Thanks for visiting!
Domesblissity said…
Gosh Di. I'm late catching up on my posts this week. This looks very similar to my standard choc chip recipe but with the addition of cocoa. It's good to have that stash in the freezer, isn't it? I must do that again sometime.

Anne @ Domesblissity
Kim Bee said…
These look delicious. I had no idea cookies could be frozen. This is dangerous information. Have a great weekend.
FoodMuster said…
Yum these look good! Thanks for sharing this recipe at my Great Recipe Exchange blog hop:)

Popular posts from this blog

My blog is making me fat

Temptation lurks everywhere. It’s official. My blog is making me fat. It’s also keeping my house messy since I started prioritising writing and baking over vacuuming and putting away laundry. In fact it’s happening right now – I’ve slept in because I stayed up to watch the new Kennedy’s drama on ABC and then wanted to ‘quickly’ check in to see if there were any new messages or comments. Before I know it its really late and that coffee I had after lunch has kicked in, giving me caffeine-induced heart palpitations, delaying sleep even further. Mr Di-licious (bless him) allowed me to sleep in and delivered a latte to my bedside. There’s a bowl of porridge waiting for me on the kitchen bench, ready to be reheated while I turn on my laptop and think about my next post. I used to get up early and go to the gym before breakfast but lately I’ve just been too tired. You know you’ve been MIA when you get notified about a trainer leaving and you’ve absolutely no idea who they’re talk

Cute owl cupcake toppers

Hoot Hoot!! How cute are these adorable owl cupcake toppers? I whipped these up last week for a special surprise birthday delivery for my niece. I've been making cupcakes for Hannah's birthdays for the last three years.  Its always interesting to look back at photos of earlier decorating efforts - I've come a long way.  Last year was sort of the p ièce de résistance   - the famed Golden Snitch cupcakes for her Harry Potter themed party. This year we were getting ready for our epic drive to Byron Bay for my sister's wedding , so we didn't make it to Bendigo.  So no Di-licious cupcakes for Hannah.  At least, that's what she thought! Last week I arranged to come and stay the night with Olive and I brought along half a dozen cute owl cupcakes - SURPRISE! We both agree that the embossed ones make the greatest impact but the plain pink ones are cute too. I re-purposed a scrapbooking card embosser to create the embossing effect (cheaper than the cak

Recipe rant

This is not a macaron Donna I did something yesterday that I'm not very proud of. I ranted on Twitter and Facebook about a bad recipe experience and named and shamed the culprit. This morning I felt a little ashamed for my lack of manners.  But then I got some feedback from friends and fans that they too had had a bad experience with the recipe and agreed it wasn't up to scratch. If the situation were reversed, I'd be mortified.  But then again, I'm a little voice in the blogging net-osphere. The magazine/author I targeted is a household name with 10+ years standing. I guess what really gets my goat is that the magazine blatantly promotes the fact that they test and retest the recipes to make sure that they're perfect. I followed the recipe to the letter and even I could see that the wheels were coming off early in the piece.  But I was following their recipe and I persevered. In the end I ended up with flat, grainy meringues, not beautiful macarons.