Skip to main content

Olive's Carrot Cupcakes {Recipe}


"Mummy, I'm hungry. Hungry for something sweet."

Sound familiar?  If only it were "Mummy, I'm hungry for green vegetables!"

Sometimes getting kids to eat something healthy is a battle.  The harder you try, the more they resist.

We've been pretty lucky with Olive - she devours fruit.  And while she's adamant she'll never eat a tomato (too many Charlie and Lola bedtime stories), she will eat green beans, peas and corn (and sometimes raw broccoli!) without fuss.  The one veg she absolutely adores though are carrots.

A carrot stick is a great snack for a hungry preschooler but when they're pining for something sweet, why not make them something healthy and sweet and bake some mini carrot cupcakes?

These mini cupcakes are based on Stephanie Alexander's Simple Carrot Cake from The Cook's Companion. I like this recipe a lot because it uses olive oil which has lots of health benefits.

If you have a food processor, you could easily have these cupcakes ready to serve within half an hour from opening the pantry.

Originally written as a big cake recipe, I've halved it to make 24 mini cupcakes - perfect for morning tea at playgroup, work or to stash in the freezer for a healthy "hungry for something sweet" emergency.

The sugar carrots are a whimsical touch - you can find out how to make them in another post.


Recipe: Olive's Carrot Cupcakes
Recipe by Stephanie Alexander, The Cook's Companion
Makes 24 mini cupcakes

Ingredients
60g self-raising flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/3 cup olive oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup finely grated carrot (approx 2 small carrots)
1/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts

For frosting
60g cream cheese or marcsapone, softened

125g pure icing sugar
30g butter, softened
a drop of vanilla extract



Method
  • Preheat oven to 180C (no fan).  Grease a 24 hole mini muffin tin or line with paper cases.
  • In a food processor, mix together flour, sugar and spices.
  • Add oil and eggs and beat for 1 minute.
  • Add carrot and walnuts and give it a quick whiz to combine.
  • Fill cups 2/3 full and bake for approx  12-15min.
  • Cool in tin before turning out.
  • When cold, decorate with cream cheese frosting.


Cream cheese frosting

  • Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend.
  • Using a small, plain icing tip, pipe a small bulb of frosting on top of each cake.
  • Leave plain or decorate with a sugar carrot or piece of walnut.



BAKING TIPS

  • Use the grating disk for your food processor to grate the carrots in a minute.
  • Don't have a food processor? Follow the same instructions using your electric mixer.
  • Freshly grated nutmeg really lifts these cakes into a whole new dimension.  But if you don't have them, ground nutmeg is fine.
  • Stephanie originally said to just stir through the carrots and walnuts.  For mini cupcakes, the extra whiz in the food processor makes the carrots and walnuts a little finer so you get a more even texture.



Comments

Domesblissity said…
Oh, they're so cute Di. I love olive oil in cakes (and biscuits) too.

I'm forever adding vegies into sweet treats, mainly for the sake of my fussy daughter. I'll be baking tomorrow and whatever it is will contain some or all of sweet potato, zucchini, carrot and/or pear.

Anne xx
Anonymous said…
Oh they look so cute and delicious!! I love that they don't have any butter in them either! :D
Unknown said…
@Anne - Thanks Anne. Yes, I think olive oil gives you a different texture than butter. Although for my classic vanilla cupcakes, there is no substitute for good unsalted butter. Enjoy your day of baking tomorrow!
Unknown said…
@Kimberly - thanks! I think the little carrots really make them. Stay tuned next week for how to make them.
Anonymous said…
Looking forward to the tutorial! :D and thank you for the lovely comment on my blog, I really appreciate it!
Hehe I don't recall asking for vegetables ever as a child,only potato chips and cake! :P
Unknown said…
@Kimberley - You're more than welcome! I'll be in the sugar carrot patch tomorrow so the tutorial will be up before you know it!
Unknown said…
@Lorraine - I think I would have liked vegies a lot more growing up if my mother hadn't insisted on cooking them within an inch of their life. Just blanched green beans are a taste sensation compared to khaki green soft ones! But I'm sure Olive thinks cakes ARE one of the major food groups! ;-D
These will be the cupcakes I make for my sister's 52nd bithday this weekend.Thanks for a wonderful recipe.They will be a hot I am sure. Your blog is so good and useful to me, I just love it. Thanks
Unknown said…
@TMV - Thanks! Be sure to let me know how you go. They really are yummy. I'm making two dozen regular sized cupcakes tomorrow for a special birthday order.
tori said…
These look so incredibly precious. I've loved that carrot cake from Stephanie for years, but never thought of putting it in such a delicate form. Just gorgeous
Olive sounds sooo cuteeeee, in every way :-))

So these were the super cupcakes that had the little carrot atop?
Its nice that it has some olive oil , will make them moist too.
That they come together so fast is always an advantage.
Unknown said…
@Sugar Plum Fairy - Yes, these are the cakes. Olive will vouch that they are moist and di-licious!

Popular posts from this blog

My blog is making me fat

Temptation lurks everywhere. It’s official. My blog is making me fat. It’s also keeping my house messy since I started prioritising writing and baking over vacuuming and putting away laundry. In fact it’s happening right now – I’ve slept in because I stayed up to watch the new Kennedy’s drama on ABC and then wanted to ‘quickly’ check in to see if there were any new messages or comments. Before I know it its really late and that coffee I had after lunch has kicked in, giving me caffeine-induced heart palpitations, delaying sleep even further. Mr Di-licious (bless him) allowed me to sleep in and delivered a latte to my bedside. There’s a bowl of porridge waiting for me on the kitchen bench, ready to be reheated while I turn on my laptop and think about my next post. I used to get up early and go to the gym before breakfast but lately I’ve just been too tired. You know you’ve been MIA when you get notified about a trainer leaving and you’ve absolutely no idea who they’re talk

Cute owl cupcake toppers

Hoot Hoot!! How cute are these adorable owl cupcake toppers? I whipped these up last week for a special surprise birthday delivery for my niece. I've been making cupcakes for Hannah's birthdays for the last three years.  Its always interesting to look back at photos of earlier decorating efforts - I've come a long way.  Last year was sort of the p ièce de résistance   - the famed Golden Snitch cupcakes for her Harry Potter themed party. This year we were getting ready for our epic drive to Byron Bay for my sister's wedding , so we didn't make it to Bendigo.  So no Di-licious cupcakes for Hannah.  At least, that's what she thought! Last week I arranged to come and stay the night with Olive and I brought along half a dozen cute owl cupcakes - SURPRISE! We both agree that the embossed ones make the greatest impact but the plain pink ones are cute too. I re-purposed a scrapbooking card embosser to create the embossing effect (cheaper than the cak

Recipe rant

This is not a macaron Donna I did something yesterday that I'm not very proud of. I ranted on Twitter and Facebook about a bad recipe experience and named and shamed the culprit. This morning I felt a little ashamed for my lack of manners.  But then I got some feedback from friends and fans that they too had had a bad experience with the recipe and agreed it wasn't up to scratch. If the situation were reversed, I'd be mortified.  But then again, I'm a little voice in the blogging net-osphere. The magazine/author I targeted is a household name with 10+ years standing. I guess what really gets my goat is that the magazine blatantly promotes the fact that they test and retest the recipes to make sure that they're perfect. I followed the recipe to the letter and even I could see that the wheels were coming off early in the piece.  But I was following their recipe and I persevered. In the end I ended up with flat, grainy meringues, not beautiful macarons.