Skip to main content

Pawesome chocolate cupcakes

Who doesn’t love a teddy bear?

I still have my first teddy. My late grandfather gave it to me when I was born and I in turn passed it onto Olive when she was born. It’s certainly seen better days but it fills my heart with joy to see her cuddle a memento from my own childhood.

When invited to bring some cupcakes to a teddy bear picnic birthday party, I just had to do something cute.

And nothing could be cuter than bear paw prints. The fondant ‘badges’ look impressive and are easy to rustle up ahead of time.

They’re as simple as one, two, three:

1. Colour your fondant
2. Roll out and cut big circles, medium circles and small circles.
3. Using water and a paint brush, stick the paw print onto the large circle.

If you want to get fancy, you could squeeze the medium and small circles to create ovoid shapes for a more organic paw print design.

Maybe you could make these ‘pawesome’ cupcakes for someone ‘beary’ special to you?

 
Chocolate Teddy Bear Paw Cupcakes
Cake recipe by Jennifer Graham, The Crabapple Bakery Cupcake Cookbook
Original decoration by Di-licious Cupcakes

The recipe promises to make at least 24 cupcakes.  I managed to make 52 cakes despite enthusiastic batter taste testing by Olive. Cakes keep well for two days in an air tight container. Un-iced cakes can be frozen for up to two months.

3 cups plain flour
2 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 tblsp instant coffee granules
1 cup hot water
1 cup cocoa
1 cup cold water
200g unsalted butter, softened
2 ½ cups castor sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

 
  • Preheat oven to 170°C. Line two 12 hole muffin trays with brown cupcake papers.
  • Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together the coffee, hot water and cocoa until you have a smooth paste. Add the cold water and mix until evenly combined.
  • In another bowl, cream the butter for a few minutes. Add the castor sugar one third at a time, beating for two minutes after each addition (make sure you scrape down the sides regularly too). After the last addition, beat until the mixture is light and creamy and the sugar has almost dissolved.
  • Add the eggs one at a time and beat for one minute after each addition or until mixture is light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
  • Add a quarter of the flour to the creamed mixture and mix through gently until clear. Add a third of the cocoa mixture and mix through gently until clear. Repeat Alternate flour and cocoa finishing with the flour. Be careful not to over mix the batter otherwise the batter will toughen.
  • Spoon mixture into cupcake papers, filling about three quarters full. Allow mixture to sit in the papers for 20minutes before baking to help prevent cracking during cooking.
  • Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a fine skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
  • Remove cupcakes from tray immediately and allow to cool on wire racks for at least 30minutes before decorating.

Fondant paw print badges

Make these a few days ahead for stress free decorating.

  • Colour fondant according to your theme. I used Dark Brown and Caramel/Tan.
  • For badge background, roll out fondant to 2mm thick.
  • Using a 4cm round cutter, cut out rounds and allow to dry on tray lined with baking paper.
  • For paw prints, use piping tips to cut out two different sized circles. I used the tip and base of a Wilton #12 round tip.
  • Squeeze the rounds into oval-ish shapes between your forefinger and thumb and then flattened them down on a baking paper lined sheet. Allow to dry for a couple of hours.
  • To assemble the badges, fill a small glass with water and arm yourself with a small paintbrush. Dip the paint brush into water and brush a medium sized shape and attach to fondant badge background round. Apply three smaller shapes above the medium shape to resemble a paw print. Repeat .

I always make at least five extra badges than I think I’ll need in case some break. It also lets me make a practice cake design before decorating the whole batch of cakes.
 
Chocolate ganache icing

200ml cream
400g dark chocolate, broken up into small pieces

  • Place chocolate in a large mixing bowl.
  • Heat cream in a small saucepan and bring it just to the boil. Take off the heat and pour over the chocolate. Whisk thoroughly until all the chocolate has melted.
  • Dip cakes while ganache icing is still warm or store in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat gently in the microwave til ganache is runny and then dip away!

Decorating your paw print cakes

  • Working one at a time, dip the top of the cupcake into the warm, liquid ganache.
  • Gently swirl the cake to make sure the top is completely covered (a little bit of icing on the paper doesn’t matter). Keep swirling the cake as you take it out of the ganache and place it right side up on bench.
  • Position paw print badge in centre of cake before dipping your next cake.
  • Allow cakes to set at room temperature and store in an airtight container.

 
Di-licious!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh Di-licious! They look absolutely gorgeous. That's one thing I've never tried my hand at, working with fondant, but I'm sure I could give it a go just to make these for the kids. They're 'dog crazy' and would love them.

Anne @ Domesblissity
Unknown said…
Thanks Anne. I used to be afraid of fondant too but I find it quite fun now. It's even easier if you use pre-coloured fondant. The kids will think its sweet, edible playdough!
Hello from a fellow crafty mumma! Following you from Digital Parents...... well, I wish my craftiness would extend to cooking, anyway. Love your idea for a blog!!
Unknown said…
Thanks Nicole - I dip my toe into crafting but I'm definitely a better baker! I started knitting a scarf for Mr Di-licious 2 years ago for his birtthday....well it's almost finished - I'm hoping to cast off by Saturday in time for his 40th! LOL! Thanks for following and I'll be checking you out too!
briarrose said…
Adorable cupcakes. I love the paw prints.
Unknown said…
Thanks Briarrose - always aiming to please!
Kristina said…
These are so cute - my kids would love them!
Thanks for sharing:)
Kristina

(Found your blog through Bloggy Moms)
Unknown said…
Thanks Kristina! Glad you like them.

Popular posts from this blog

My blog is making me fat

Temptation lurks everywhere. It’s official. My blog is making me fat. It’s also keeping my house messy since I started prioritising writing and baking over vacuuming and putting away laundry. In fact it’s happening right now – I’ve slept in because I stayed up to watch the new Kennedy’s drama on ABC and then wanted to ‘quickly’ check in to see if there were any new messages or comments. Before I know it its really late and that coffee I had after lunch has kicked in, giving me caffeine-induced heart palpitations, delaying sleep even further. Mr Di-licious (bless him) allowed me to sleep in and delivered a latte to my bedside. There’s a bowl of porridge waiting for me on the kitchen bench, ready to be reheated while I turn on my laptop and think about my next post. I used to get up early and go to the gym before breakfast but lately I’ve just been too tired. You know you’ve been MIA when you get notified about a trainer leaving and you’ve absolutely no idea who they’re talk

Recipe rant

This is not a macaron Donna I did something yesterday that I'm not very proud of. I ranted on Twitter and Facebook about a bad recipe experience and named and shamed the culprit. This morning I felt a little ashamed for my lack of manners.  But then I got some feedback from friends and fans that they too had had a bad experience with the recipe and agreed it wasn't up to scratch. If the situation were reversed, I'd be mortified.  But then again, I'm a little voice in the blogging net-osphere. The magazine/author I targeted is a household name with 10+ years standing. I guess what really gets my goat is that the magazine blatantly promotes the fact that they test and retest the recipes to make sure that they're perfect. I followed the recipe to the letter and even I could see that the wheels were coming off early in the piece.  But I was following their recipe and I persevered. In the end I ended up with flat, grainy meringues, not beautiful macarons.

Cute owl cupcake toppers

Hoot Hoot!! How cute are these adorable owl cupcake toppers? I whipped these up last week for a special surprise birthday delivery for my niece. I've been making cupcakes for Hannah's birthdays for the last three years.  Its always interesting to look back at photos of earlier decorating efforts - I've come a long way.  Last year was sort of the p ièce de résistance   - the famed Golden Snitch cupcakes for her Harry Potter themed party. This year we were getting ready for our epic drive to Byron Bay for my sister's wedding , so we didn't make it to Bendigo.  So no Di-licious cupcakes for Hannah.  At least, that's what she thought! Last week I arranged to come and stay the night with Olive and I brought along half a dozen cute owl cupcakes - SURPRISE! We both agree that the embossed ones make the greatest impact but the plain pink ones are cute too. I re-purposed a scrapbooking card embosser to create the embossing effect (cheaper than the cak