Skip to main content

The Earl of Chocolate Cake

Making one cake for the man you love is hard. Try making three to celebrate his 40th birthday!

Unlike a normal cake order where the client specifies the flavour, shape, filling and decoration, Mr Di-licious simply said “Surprise me”. Humph....I think that’s worse.

One cake down and the next needed in only a few days, inspiration finally struck one morning in the shower – make him an Earl Grey tea flavoured cake. Brilliant!

My first scan of the web found lots of tea cakes but they were more church picnic than milestone birthday.

It’s a celebration cake and in my world that means a creamy filling and chocolate.

Chocolate and Earl Grey?  Suspend belief and take it from me: it works mate... it does!

Time was short so instead of experimenting, I let my eyes do the walking through Google Images to find a recipe I could use.

I was instantly smitten by a cake by Cultivate Online: The Queen’s Earl Grey Fudge Cake - a chocolate and earl grey tea cake, filled with earl grey flavoured cream cheese frosting, covered in earl grey infused dark chocolate ganache and blinged up with earl grey praline. 

The recipe seemed straight forward and would allow me to make all the elements ahead of time to assemble at my brother in law's house.


I did do a few things a little differently though.
  • I used loose leaf Earl Grey tea for the cake, ganache and cream cheese filling (1 teaspoon per teabag cited in the recipe).
  • I split each cake in two to create a four layer cake.
  • I made a strong tea-flavoured sugar syrup to moisten the cake layers before spreading on the filling.
  • I made a double batch of the ganache – always better to have extra ganache to make covering the cake easier (and give you something to drizzle over ice-cream of dip cupcakes into).

Some comments on the cake:

  • The earl grey flavour is subtle. Not immediately noticeable when you first eat it but then all of a sudden, the taste sneaks into your mouth and it’s quite nice. (I’m personally not a huge Earl Grey fan but loved the extra dimension to the cake, especially the ganache.)
  • Don't add an extra flavour profile. I decided at the last minute to add some fresh orange zest to one of the cakes as a bit of a citrus burst. This dominated the cake a bit (not in a bad way though). If I made it again, I wouldn’t include it.
  • I found the cake a little crumbly. This was exacerbated by splitting the cakes in two. This is also a cake that is best cooked without baking strips - you need a firm edge to the cake to make covering with ganache easier.
  • Make sure to redust your cake with praline just before serving.  The praline will 'melt'and leave little droplets over the top of the cake if left to its own devices for an hour or two. This doesn't affect the taste of the cake.
  • Making dry caramel is easy if you know what you're doing.  Thank you David Lebovitz for your invaluable, entertaining guide!
This cake really does taste as good as it looks.  Olive helped blow out the candles (again!) and as predicted, a lot of good wine was consumed over the course of the weekend.

And now it's time for me to start on cake number three!



Comments

Your cake icing is just puurrrfect! I love how smooth you got it! What a delicious sounding flavour too! :)
Unknown said…
Thanks Lorraine! You should give it a whirl sometime.
Domesblissity said…
Hello Di! Your husband is one lucky man! What a di-lightful flavour combination. I reckon that'd go pretty well with a cup of Earl Gray right about now.

Am looking forward to the next instalment!

Anne @ Domesblissity
Maria said…
Wow, stunning cake!
Tiffany said…
Earl grey and chocolate sounds... well.. MAGICAL!
Unknown said…
How would you not feel loved receiving a cake like this. I bet it taste soooooo yummy.
http://thedotdotblog.blogspot.com/ - Elizabeth
Lou said…
Oh my! My husband's two favourite things. And he has an upcoming birthday.
Anonymous said…
I must thank you for the efforts you've put in writing this website.
I really hope to see the same high-grade content by you in the future as well.
In fact, your creative writing abilities has encouraged
me to get my own website now ;)

Also visit my webpage - sbobet

Popular posts from this blog

My blog is making me fat

Temptation lurks everywhere. It’s official. My blog is making me fat. It’s also keeping my house messy since I started prioritising writing and baking over vacuuming and putting away laundry. In fact it’s happening right now – I’ve slept in because I stayed up to watch the new Kennedy’s drama on ABC and then wanted to ‘quickly’ check in to see if there were any new messages or comments. Before I know it its really late and that coffee I had after lunch has kicked in, giving me caffeine-induced heart palpitations, delaying sleep even further. Mr Di-licious (bless him) allowed me to sleep in and delivered a latte to my bedside. There’s a bowl of porridge waiting for me on the kitchen bench, ready to be reheated while I turn on my laptop and think about my next post. I used to get up early and go to the gym before breakfast but lately I’ve just been too tired. You know you’ve been MIA when you get notified about a trainer leaving and you’ve absolutely no idea who they’re talk

Recipe rant

This is not a macaron Donna I did something yesterday that I'm not very proud of. I ranted on Twitter and Facebook about a bad recipe experience and named and shamed the culprit. This morning I felt a little ashamed for my lack of manners.  But then I got some feedback from friends and fans that they too had had a bad experience with the recipe and agreed it wasn't up to scratch. If the situation were reversed, I'd be mortified.  But then again, I'm a little voice in the blogging net-osphere. The magazine/author I targeted is a household name with 10+ years standing. I guess what really gets my goat is that the magazine blatantly promotes the fact that they test and retest the recipes to make sure that they're perfect. I followed the recipe to the letter and even I could see that the wheels were coming off early in the piece.  But I was following their recipe and I persevered. In the end I ended up with flat, grainy meringues, not beautiful macarons.

Cute owl cupcake toppers

Hoot Hoot!! How cute are these adorable owl cupcake toppers? I whipped these up last week for a special surprise birthday delivery for my niece. I've been making cupcakes for Hannah's birthdays for the last three years.  Its always interesting to look back at photos of earlier decorating efforts - I've come a long way.  Last year was sort of the p ièce de résistance   - the famed Golden Snitch cupcakes for her Harry Potter themed party. This year we were getting ready for our epic drive to Byron Bay for my sister's wedding , so we didn't make it to Bendigo.  So no Di-licious cupcakes for Hannah.  At least, that's what she thought! Last week I arranged to come and stay the night with Olive and I brought along half a dozen cute owl cupcakes - SURPRISE! We both agree that the embossed ones make the greatest impact but the plain pink ones are cute too. I re-purposed a scrapbooking card embosser to create the embossing effect (cheaper than the cak