Skip to main content

Good news and Special Lemon Coconut Cake {Recipe}


I'm in a very, VERY good mood this week. Why? Well for starters, I finally landed my dream part time job.

The company is a gourmet food producer and I'll be actively involved with promoting their products through food tastings as well as behind the scenes in the office and (hopefully) helping develop their website. I may even get my hands messy in the kitchen sometimes.....

The other reason I'm very happy this week is discovering my ultimate, perfect cake nirvana - this (very) Special Lemon Coconut Cake.

The recipe comes from the Country Women's Association Classics Cookbook. It was contributed by Mrs Elaine Youd from Devonport Branch, Tasmania who shared that it is her "friend Barb Parson's special cake".


Special is definitely the right way to describe this cake. The coconut keeps the cake lovely and moist, making it a great bake ahead affair. It freezes well and the icing......well tangy lemon juice icing with coconut... it just keeps the lemon coconut flavour going on and on and on.

If you (or someone you know) has a prolific lemon tree then this recipe is a definite keeper.

Once again I'm grateful for the wonderful generosity of CWA women who openly share their fabulous recipes. They are, in a word, special.


Recipe: Special Lemon Cake

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups Self Raising Flour, sifted
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup milk
125g butter, melted
grated zest of 3 lemons

Icing
1 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
Juice of one lemon

Method

  • Preheat oven to 160C. Grease a 20cm square cake tin and line base with baking paper.
  • Place the sifted flour, coconut and sugar into a large mixing bowl and mix through to distribute the ingredients evenly. Make a well in the centre.
  • In a separate bowl or large jug (I like to use a big 1Litre Pyrex jug), beat the eggs, milk, melted butter and lemon zest together. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix through. It will most likely be a bit sloppy.
  • Pour the mixture into your prepapred cake tin and bake for about 45-50mins or until a skewer comes out clean. The cake will have pulled away a little at the sides and should be a lovely golden hue.
  • Allow cake to cool in the tin at least 20 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack lined with a folded tea towel (to avoid unsightly rack marks) and let it cool completely before icing.


To make the icing, mix the sifted icing sugar and coconut together. Gradually add the lemon juice until you get your preferred consistency - you probably won't use all the juice. Spread over the cake and if you like, let it drip down the sides a bit. Allow the icing to set before slicing.

Note - uniced cake will freeze beautifully. Ice when mostly defrosted.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yummo thanks Di. Cant wait to try. Robyn xx
Unknown said…
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Happy baking Robyn!
Di x

Popular posts from this blog

My blog is making me fat

Temptation lurks everywhere. It’s official. My blog is making me fat. It’s also keeping my house messy since I started prioritising writing and baking over vacuuming and putting away laundry. In fact it’s happening right now – I’ve slept in because I stayed up to watch the new Kennedy’s drama on ABC and then wanted to ‘quickly’ check in to see if there were any new messages or comments. Before I know it its really late and that coffee I had after lunch has kicked in, giving me caffeine-induced heart palpitations, delaying sleep even further. Mr Di-licious (bless him) allowed me to sleep in and delivered a latte to my bedside. There’s a bowl of porridge waiting for me on the kitchen bench, ready to be reheated while I turn on my laptop and think about my next post. I used to get up early and go to the gym before breakfast but lately I’ve just been too tired. You know you’ve been MIA when you get notified about a trainer leaving and you’ve absolutely no idea who they’re talk

Recipe rant

This is not a macaron Donna I did something yesterday that I'm not very proud of. I ranted on Twitter and Facebook about a bad recipe experience and named and shamed the culprit. This morning I felt a little ashamed for my lack of manners.  But then I got some feedback from friends and fans that they too had had a bad experience with the recipe and agreed it wasn't up to scratch. If the situation were reversed, I'd be mortified.  But then again, I'm a little voice in the blogging net-osphere. The magazine/author I targeted is a household name with 10+ years standing. I guess what really gets my goat is that the magazine blatantly promotes the fact that they test and retest the recipes to make sure that they're perfect. I followed the recipe to the letter and even I could see that the wheels were coming off early in the piece.  But I was following their recipe and I persevered. In the end I ended up with flat, grainy meringues, not beautiful macarons.

Cute owl cupcake toppers

Hoot Hoot!! How cute are these adorable owl cupcake toppers? I whipped these up last week for a special surprise birthday delivery for my niece. I've been making cupcakes for Hannah's birthdays for the last three years.  Its always interesting to look back at photos of earlier decorating efforts - I've come a long way.  Last year was sort of the p ièce de résistance   - the famed Golden Snitch cupcakes for her Harry Potter themed party. This year we were getting ready for our epic drive to Byron Bay for my sister's wedding , so we didn't make it to Bendigo.  So no Di-licious cupcakes for Hannah.  At least, that's what she thought! Last week I arranged to come and stay the night with Olive and I brought along half a dozen cute owl cupcakes - SURPRISE! We both agree that the embossed ones make the greatest impact but the plain pink ones are cute too. I re-purposed a scrapbooking card embosser to create the embossing effect (cheaper than the cak