Skip to main content

Lemon Poppy Seed Biscuits {Recipe}


I often crave baking biscuits but its normally when I'm feeling a bit lazy and don't have any softened butter to hand.

At times like these a quick mix bickie recipe is a life saver, especially when all you need is a food processor to do all the hard work for you.

I found this Lemon and Poppy Seed biscuit recipe in the delightful Alice in Bakingland cookbook by Alice Arndell.  Alice, a finalist in New Zealand's Hottest Home Baker show, is a champion of real home baking as well as her local community. I found the book at the library and was instantly jealous of the gorgeous vintage styling and delicious sounding recipes. Alice also has a blog Alice in Bakingland where you'll find more of her recipes. It's definitely worth checking out.

Mum and dad had dropped off a big bag of home grown lemons last week and up until now they'd been serving as a charming still life arrangement on the dining table. 

It felt good to put them to use.  The finished biscuit is delightfully crisp with a light lemon tang and fragrance. Next time I think I'd add an extra lemon's worth of zest for a bit more of a zing. A drop or two of lemon essence when adding the eggs might also do the trick.

When I made these biscuits I popped the rolls into the freezer to firm up faster. The recipe recommended a minimum 2hrs chilling time. It was already quarter to three and I needed a snack ready for after school. They were firm in less than hour and it got me thinking that if I had divided the dough up into five rolls instead of three, I would have had a ready to slice bounty at my beck and call.

As it happens I only baked off half of one of the rolls so there's plenty stashed away in the freezer for whenever I get another case of the baking lazies (or when I remember at the last minute that it's my turn to bring a plate to CWA).

Whatever you do, make sure you brew yourself a special pot of tea to enjoy these little darlings. The poppy seeds make them a little more grown up and they're robust enough to survive a dunk or two.

Recipe: Lemon Poppyseed Biscuits
Original recipe by Alice Arndell, Alice in Bakingland (2013)
Makes about 40+ biscuits.

Ingredients
21/2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup caster sugar
Zest of 2 lemons (although if you prefer a sharper lemon taste, bump it up to 3!)
2 Tblsp poppy seeds
180g cold butter, cubed
1 whole egg plus 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten

Method

  1. Put all of the ingredients, except the butter and eggs, into your food processor.  Pulse a couple of times to mix everything together.
  2. Add the cubed butter and process again until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
  3. Add the combined egg and egg yolk and process again until the dough starts to clump together.
  4. Tip the mixture out onto your bench and gently bring the dough together - you will been to squeeze and squash it a bit - and form it into a long log shape. The original recipe suggested a diameter of about 7cm but I prefer a daintier biscuit so I went for 4cm. The choice is completely yours (although the smaller diameter will give you more biscuits!)
  5. Cut your dough log into 4 or 5 sections and wrap each in plastic wrap. At this point you can roll the logs back and forth to give them a nice even round shape.
  6. Pop the logs into the fridge or freezer to chill completely. They'll take around 40minutes in the freezer or at least 2 hours in the fridge. (Of course at this point you can label and freeze your dough for another day if you don't plan to bake all the biscuits during this baking session.).
  7. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 180C and line your baking tray(s) with baking parchment.
  8. Remove dough roll for the fridge or freezer and slice into 5mm thick rounds. Place onto the tray and bake for 10-12 mins or until the biscuits have a lovely golden tint on their edges and the underside is just golden.
  9. Allow to cool completely on a rack before brewing a pot of tea to celebrate.



Comments

Anonymous said…
They look amazing Di. I've been making lemon cordial with all my lemons, 4 x 2L bottles. Should keep us going a while. I read you can mix 2 tbs in hot water to help a sore throat, which is why I made it! Lemons are the one thing I couldn't to without in my kitchen.
Melanie B :-)
Unknown said…
I'll have to grab the recipe from you Mel - I just got another big bag of lemons from my folks and most of them are as big as grapefruits! Di xx

Popular posts from this blog

My blog is making me fat

Temptation lurks everywhere. It’s official. My blog is making me fat. It’s also keeping my house messy since I started prioritising writing and baking over vacuuming and putting away laundry. In fact it’s happening right now – I’ve slept in because I stayed up to watch the new Kennedy’s drama on ABC and then wanted to ‘quickly’ check in to see if there were any new messages or comments. Before I know it its really late and that coffee I had after lunch has kicked in, giving me caffeine-induced heart palpitations, delaying sleep even further. Mr Di-licious (bless him) allowed me to sleep in and delivered a latte to my bedside. There’s a bowl of porridge waiting for me on the kitchen bench, ready to be reheated while I turn on my laptop and think about my next post. I used to get up early and go to the gym before breakfast but lately I’ve just been too tired. You know you’ve been MIA when you get notified about a trainer leaving and you’ve absolutely no idea who they’re talk

Recipe rant

This is not a macaron Donna I did something yesterday that I'm not very proud of. I ranted on Twitter and Facebook about a bad recipe experience and named and shamed the culprit. This morning I felt a little ashamed for my lack of manners.  But then I got some feedback from friends and fans that they too had had a bad experience with the recipe and agreed it wasn't up to scratch. If the situation were reversed, I'd be mortified.  But then again, I'm a little voice in the blogging net-osphere. The magazine/author I targeted is a household name with 10+ years standing. I guess what really gets my goat is that the magazine blatantly promotes the fact that they test and retest the recipes to make sure that they're perfect. I followed the recipe to the letter and even I could see that the wheels were coming off early in the piece.  But I was following their recipe and I persevered. In the end I ended up with flat, grainy meringues, not beautiful macarons.

Cute owl cupcake toppers

Hoot Hoot!! How cute are these adorable owl cupcake toppers? I whipped these up last week for a special surprise birthday delivery for my niece. I've been making cupcakes for Hannah's birthdays for the last three years.  Its always interesting to look back at photos of earlier decorating efforts - I've come a long way.  Last year was sort of the p ièce de résistance   - the famed Golden Snitch cupcakes for her Harry Potter themed party. This year we were getting ready for our epic drive to Byron Bay for my sister's wedding , so we didn't make it to Bendigo.  So no Di-licious cupcakes for Hannah.  At least, that's what she thought! Last week I arranged to come and stay the night with Olive and I brought along half a dozen cute owl cupcakes - SURPRISE! We both agree that the embossed ones make the greatest impact but the plain pink ones are cute too. I re-purposed a scrapbooking card embosser to create the embossing effect (cheaper than the cak