Skip to main content

Maureen’s Mistletoe Mince Pies {Recipe}



This week I’m sharing with you a recipe given to me by my one of my best friend’s mum, Maureen.

I was bemoaning my lack of a tried and true mince tart recipe for the blog recently when Shelby talked up her mum’s pies – the pastry has orange zest in them which gives it a special lift.  “Just ask her – she’d love to share it with you”, she said. So I did.  And to my delight, Maureen said yes.




Chatting with her a few days later, Maureen told me she’s been making these mince pies for forty years.  She found the recipe in a little four page leaflet from The Australian Dried Fruits Association that she picked up in a health food shop. It is so old it is in imperial measure so you will need to convert, she told me. 

Like many recipes of its age, it’s deliberately vague about the final quantity it makes. I was able to make 20 using domed tartlet pans but I rolled the pastry out too thin.  Next time I‘ll make the pastry a little thicker, say 3mm thick – that will most likely yield 15 pies.

Next time?  Yes, I’ll definitely make these again.  I know my first attempt wasn’t perfect but its opened my eyes up to the possibilities. 

For the first time in my life I’ve tasted a mince pie that I actually like. It must be the divine orange pastry. It’s more like biscuit pastry than shortcrust. In fact you can bake the leftover dough as small cookies.  Yum.

For the purposes of this recipe I have used an off the shelf filling - Robertson’s Traditional Fruit Mince.  They bear the royal seal so I figure if it’s good enough for Lizzie and Phil, it’ll be good enough for us. I soaked the fruit mince in brandy overnight but you could do it for as long or as little as suited you.  
Next time I think I might try making my own mince (now that I know I kind of like them).




To make cooking more efficient, you could make the pastry the night before and bake the next day.  I work with half the dough at a time and chill it in between.  Today was pretty humid here so the pastry melted fast. 

Few of us have an inbuilt marble slab in our bench but I improvise using a large white tile. You will need to roll the dough between sheets of baking paper to minimise sticking.  I also dust the dough with icing sugar instead of flour.



The cooked tartlets can be frozen – hooray – and re-crisped in a slow-moderate oven (160°C), covered in foil for 10-15minutes. 

Christmas is all about giving so I feel honoured to receive this lovely recipe gift from Maureen, especially since she has been such a great supporter of my cooking adventures and this blog. I hope I've done her recipe proud.


What are you giving this Christmas?





Recipe: Maureen’s Mistletoe Mince Pies
Original recipe from The Australian Dried Fruits Association, circa 1970
Makes 15+tartlets

Ingredients
Orange pastry
3 oz. (90g) butter, softened
2 oz. (60) caster sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 egg yolk
1 dessertspoon water
1/2  teaspoon vanilla essence
3 oz. (90g) plain flour
2 oz. (60g) self-raising flour
1 oz. (30g) cornflour
pinch salt

Filling
1 1/2 cups of prepared fruit mince (or 410g jar Robertsons fruit mince), flavoured with 4 teaspoons (1 tbls) of brandy 

Method
  • Cream together butter sugar until light and fluffy. Add the orange rind, egg yolk, water and vanilla, beat well. Sift together the dry ingredients and blend into the mixture making a firm dough. Kneed lightly and chill for about an hour. This pastry may be made the day before required.
  • Roll out the pastry thinly. Using a 7cm cutter, cut out fluted rounds and line tartlet or patty tin trays.Chill for 10-15minutes.
  • Fill with a small quantity of fruit mince and level off. 
  • Roll out remaining pastry and cut into shapes such as stars, bells or Christmas trees.
  • Arrange pastry tops over the fruit mince.
  • Place in a hot (200C /180 fan) oven and bake for 10 minutes and then reduce the heat to moderate (180C/160C Fan), and bake a further 16-20 minutes or until the pastry is golden and cooked through.
  • Allow to cool on a cake rack.
  • Serve dusted with icing sugar.

COOKING TIPS
  • The dough should be approximately 3mm thick. Too thin and it will overcook and be especially crisp (just like my first batch!); too thick and the pastry won’t cook through properly.
  • Don’t put too much fruit mince in – it will boil and bubble during baking and could bubble over the edges of your tarts (like mine did). Also try to level the mince surface before you put the pastry shape on top.
  • Chill the filled tarts for 10-15minutes before you bake them.  It will stop the pastry top from melting as soon as it gets into the oven and give you a prettier looking pie lid.
  • You will have leftover fruit mince. If you don’t, you have over-filled your tarts.
  • Left over pastry makes di-licious biscuits.  Roll into balls and flatten. Bake for approximately 8 minutes til just golden – yummo (I like to call this the official cooks treat!)

Comments

Domesblissity said…
I love fruit mince pies Di. I've resorted to buying the el cheapo homebrand ones from Coles which I don't think are too bad. These sound really good.

Anne xx
Anonymous said…
What a fabulous looking mince pie recipe! Husband loves them, especially the filling! :D

Popular posts from this blog

My blog is making me fat

Temptation lurks everywhere. It’s official. My blog is making me fat. It’s also keeping my house messy since I started prioritising writing and baking over vacuuming and putting away laundry. In fact it’s happening right now – I’ve slept in because I stayed up to watch the new Kennedy’s drama on ABC and then wanted to ‘quickly’ check in to see if there were any new messages or comments. Before I know it its really late and that coffee I had after lunch has kicked in, giving me caffeine-induced heart palpitations, delaying sleep even further. Mr Di-licious (bless him) allowed me to sleep in and delivered a latte to my bedside. There’s a bowl of porridge waiting for me on the kitchen bench, ready to be reheated while I turn on my laptop and think about my next post. I used to get up early and go to the gym before breakfast but lately I’ve just been too tired. You know you’ve been MIA when you get notified about a trainer leaving and you’ve absolutely no idea who they’re talk

Cute owl cupcake toppers

Hoot Hoot!! How cute are these adorable owl cupcake toppers? I whipped these up last week for a special surprise birthday delivery for my niece. I've been making cupcakes for Hannah's birthdays for the last three years.  Its always interesting to look back at photos of earlier decorating efforts - I've come a long way.  Last year was sort of the p ièce de résistance   - the famed Golden Snitch cupcakes for her Harry Potter themed party. This year we were getting ready for our epic drive to Byron Bay for my sister's wedding , so we didn't make it to Bendigo.  So no Di-licious cupcakes for Hannah.  At least, that's what she thought! Last week I arranged to come and stay the night with Olive and I brought along half a dozen cute owl cupcakes - SURPRISE! We both agree that the embossed ones make the greatest impact but the plain pink ones are cute too. I re-purposed a scrapbooking card embosser to create the embossing effect (cheaper than the cak

Recipe rant

This is not a macaron Donna I did something yesterday that I'm not very proud of. I ranted on Twitter and Facebook about a bad recipe experience and named and shamed the culprit. This morning I felt a little ashamed for my lack of manners.  But then I got some feedback from friends and fans that they too had had a bad experience with the recipe and agreed it wasn't up to scratch. If the situation were reversed, I'd be mortified.  But then again, I'm a little voice in the blogging net-osphere. The magazine/author I targeted is a household name with 10+ years standing. I guess what really gets my goat is that the magazine blatantly promotes the fact that they test and retest the recipes to make sure that they're perfect. I followed the recipe to the letter and even I could see that the wheels were coming off early in the piece.  But I was following their recipe and I persevered. In the end I ended up with flat, grainy meringues, not beautiful macarons.