Skip to main content

Cranberry & Pistachio Biscuits {Recipe}




This week I’m going to make a bold suggestion.  Instead of queuing up at the shops, why not give a home-baked gift instead?

Every year I pull my hair out, trying to work out what to give family and friends.  I walk aimlessly around monolithic shopping centres and to what end? I walk out dejected and despondent – unable to find just the right gift. 

A couple of years ago when we were all feeling budget-challenged, my girlfriends and I resolved to make our Kris Kringle gifts instead of buying them. It was fantastic. It required thought and effort. That year I gave a jar of my first, backyard plum-tree jam. I received a beautiful Christmas angel painting that takes pride of place in my living room each year.

When you make a gift you give something of yourself.  A beautifully presented box of di-licious home-baked biscuits could make you THE must have Secret Santa of the season.


These shortbread-style biscuits look like a slice of Christmas; bursting with red cranberries and merry green pistachios.  Not overly sweet, they’re a perfect match with a well brewed cup of coffee. 

The dough itself is simple enough to make but the assembly prior to baking is a process.  You need to press in one layer of dough, chill, press in the second layer the dough, chill, cut and layer again, chill and then slice, chill again and finally, bake. These are best made ahead of time and frozen ready to bake at the height of the silly season.  You’ll be glad you did.



Recipe: Cranberry & Pistachio Biscuits
Recipe adapted from Donna Hay
Makes approximately 60 biscuits

Ingredients
350g butter
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
4 ½ cups plain flour, sifted
2 tsp vanilla extract
Zest of 1 orange
¼ cup milk
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten.
1 cup dried cranberries
1 ½ cups chopped pistachio nuts

20x30cm baking pan (lamington pan)
Baking trays


Method
  1. Put on your favourite Christmas CD.
  2. Lightly grease and line a 20x30cm (7 ¾ x 12 inch) baking pan with baking paper, making sure the paper completely covers the sides of the tin. (Tip: use two sheets of paper, one 20cm wide and the other 30cm wide – lay them along the base of the pan to form a cross)
  3. Place the butter and icing sugar into bowl of your stand mixer and beat for approximately 8 minutes or until mixture is pale and creamy.
  4. Combine the milk, egg yolk, zest and vanilla and add this along with the flour to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until combined. The mixture will be crumbly – don’t stress!
  5. Divide the dough mixture in half and add the cranberries and pistachios to one, mixing well to combine. You’ll find that the dough has warmed up a bit and should come together really well now.
  6. Press the cranberry biscuit dough into the pan and smooth the top using a small rolling pin or flat sided wine bottle. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
  7. When firm, press the plain biscuit dough on top of the cranberry layer and smooth top (as above). It will feel like a lot less dough than the bottom layer and most likely take a bit more effort to spread out evenly. Refrigerate for a further 15 minutes. (You only want to partially set the dough here – I over chilled mine, making the next layer step harder.)
  8. With the aide of the overhanging baking paper, remove the partially chilled dough ‘sandwich’ from the baking tin.  
  9. Cut the dough ‘sandwich’ in half. Place one half on top of the other (to form four layers) and press down gently. (Tip: use a spare baking tray to press down the dough to apply flat, even pressure) Refrigerate for 30 minutes til firm.
  10. Preheat the oven to 160°C and line at least 2 baking trays with baking paper.
  11. Now the fun part – cutting the biscuit slices. Through trial and error I found the easiest way to do this was to cut the slab into four 5cm wide pieces, and then cut each of these into 1cm slices. A sawing motion will help keep the layers together. If they come apart, don’t worry. Just press them gently back together again. Place the slices onto the prepared baking trays.
  12. Bake the biscuits for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden. Keep an eye on them. You want the biscuits to cook through but not be burnt on the bottoms.
  13. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Di-licious Time Saving Tip Y

You can freeze unbaked cookies from the end of step 11.  Simply put the tray in the freezer for 10-15 minutes til frozen.  Transfer the frozen biscuits to a freezer-safe container, using baking paper or grease proof paper in between layers. Bake all or only some of the cookies straight from frozen whenever you need them in a 160°C oven for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden. 



Comments

Domesblissity said…
Oh yum Di. They look delicious. Just right for Christmas. xx
PlanningQueen said…
They look fantastic. Love pistachios!
Sandra said…
I love the part about putting on a Christmas CD and this is a different and creative shortbread recipe. Thank you.
These look fabulous and I really want to make something like this for Christmas. Thanks for the inspiration! :)
OH these looks delicious!!!!
God Christmas is right here every year I plan and then end up making nothing...
But sweet dear you have totally inspired me.
Quick question can I bake these wonderful biscuit and store them?
Unknown said…
Thanks Anne - they're slightly addictive. I gobbled up the last couple of baked ones yesterday. Luckily for my family and friends, most of them are in the freezer ready to be baked in December!
Unknown said…
@ Planning Queen - thanks so much for stopping by. Pistachios are one of my favourite nuts too!
Unknown said…
@Sandra - LOL! The corny Christmas CDs really put you in the mood! Try it! :-D
Unknown said…
@Lorraine - Can't wait to see what you end up baking for Christmas!
Unknown said…
@Reem - you can bake and store the biscuits in an air-tight container (think Tupperware) for about 2 weeks.
Alana said…
i love that you're christmas baking in october! and you're right, baked gifts for friends are so wonderful so this is a great post. your bisctuits look lovely and festive - there's nothing like red and green food!
Unknown said…
@Alana - it pays to be organised sometimes...now if I can just finish my latest recipe contribution to my xmas series...... :-)

Popular posts from this blog

My blog is making me fat

Temptation lurks everywhere. It’s official. My blog is making me fat. It’s also keeping my house messy since I started prioritising writing and baking over vacuuming and putting away laundry. In fact it’s happening right now – I’ve slept in because I stayed up to watch the new Kennedy’s drama on ABC and then wanted to ‘quickly’ check in to see if there were any new messages or comments. Before I know it its really late and that coffee I had after lunch has kicked in, giving me caffeine-induced heart palpitations, delaying sleep even further. Mr Di-licious (bless him) allowed me to sleep in and delivered a latte to my bedside. There’s a bowl of porridge waiting for me on the kitchen bench, ready to be reheated while I turn on my laptop and think about my next post. I used to get up early and go to the gym before breakfast but lately I’ve just been too tired. You know you’ve been MIA when you get notified about a trainer leaving and you’ve absolutely no idea who they’re talk

Recipe rant

This is not a macaron Donna I did something yesterday that I'm not very proud of. I ranted on Twitter and Facebook about a bad recipe experience and named and shamed the culprit. This morning I felt a little ashamed for my lack of manners.  But then I got some feedback from friends and fans that they too had had a bad experience with the recipe and agreed it wasn't up to scratch. If the situation were reversed, I'd be mortified.  But then again, I'm a little voice in the blogging net-osphere. The magazine/author I targeted is a household name with 10+ years standing. I guess what really gets my goat is that the magazine blatantly promotes the fact that they test and retest the recipes to make sure that they're perfect. I followed the recipe to the letter and even I could see that the wheels were coming off early in the piece.  But I was following their recipe and I persevered. In the end I ended up with flat, grainy meringues, not beautiful macarons.

Cute owl cupcake toppers

Hoot Hoot!! How cute are these adorable owl cupcake toppers? I whipped these up last week for a special surprise birthday delivery for my niece. I've been making cupcakes for Hannah's birthdays for the last three years.  Its always interesting to look back at photos of earlier decorating efforts - I've come a long way.  Last year was sort of the p ièce de résistance   - the famed Golden Snitch cupcakes for her Harry Potter themed party. This year we were getting ready for our epic drive to Byron Bay for my sister's wedding , so we didn't make it to Bendigo.  So no Di-licious cupcakes for Hannah.  At least, that's what she thought! Last week I arranged to come and stay the night with Olive and I brought along half a dozen cute owl cupcakes - SURPRISE! We both agree that the embossed ones make the greatest impact but the plain pink ones are cute too. I re-purposed a scrapbooking card embosser to create the embossing effect (cheaper than the cak