Skip to main content

Quilled tablecloth cake and Rich Chocolate Cake {Recipe}


When decorating birthday cakes, I love finding a way to make them a little less ordinary. 

My almost mother in law (Mr Di-licious and I haven’t made it down the aisle, yet) loves quilling. I’ve never done quilling myself but I thought it would make an excellent design feature for her 70th birthday cake.

Quilling is essentially rolled up strips of paper, arranged into beautiful patterns. I figured it wouldn’t be too hard to emulate the effect with thin strips of fondant.  A couple of attempts later, I realised I really needed to use gumpaste. The strips need to be rolled out really thin, allowed to dry slightly and then rolled up– quilled.


I made a variety of different shapes in different colours as well as a stylised 7-0. The final design didn’t follow an existing pattern – it just sort of happened.  If you look closely you can see flower shapes in there.

The tablecloth idea was actually a work around.  Originally I’d planned to cover the whole ganached cake in white fondant but I wasn’t having a good morning with the rolling pin. Some days are like that.

Rather than admit defeat I used my cake turntable with the scalloped edge as a template and cut around it with a scalpel. I then ‘set the cake’ with the ‘cloth’ and let it drape. I used a cake dowel to create the eyelet holes.


 As with most things, invention is the mother of necessity. I think the final tablecloth look actually suited the cake so much better.  And being unusual, it attracted a lot of compliments from guests and the party gal herself.

Aside from looking pretty on the outside, this cake is di-licious to the core.  I’ve actually found a new favourite chocolate cake recipe courtesy of the very talented Rosie at Sweetapolita.  Her Rich and Dark Chocolate Cake has knocked my socks off.  It was love at first bite.

Moist and flavoursome without being overly sweet.  It’s perfect! And... it cuts like a dream.  I filled the cake with vanilla buttercream and covered the whole cake in dark chocolate ganache. Using a knife dipped in hot water we cut perfect slices of cake.

Olive and I snuck a couple of slices of birthday cake home for a tea party the next day.

For the benefit of Australian readers I’ve converted Sweetapolita’s recipe to aussie measurements. Fill with your favourite frosting or keep it deliciously simple with whipped cream and strawberries.  

Next time I’m going to try my hand at Swiss Meringue Buttercream and pipe pink ruffles just like Sweetapolita!

Rich and Dark Chocolate Cake
Makes two 9 inch cakes or standard 24 cupcakes

Ingredients
1 ½ cups plain flour
1 ¾ cups caster sugar
2/3 cups cocoa powder
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
¾ cup strong black coffee (I used espresso coffee but strong instant would work as well)
¾ cup buttermilk, room temperature
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 tsp vanilla extract

Method
  • Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line two 9-inch cake tins with baking paper.
  • Sift all the dry ingredients into the bowl of your mixer.
  • Add remaining wet ingredients, and using the paddle attachment, mix on medium speed for two minutes. The mixture will be runny.
  • Pour the mixture into the two prepared tins equally.
  • Bake for approximately 40 minutes, rotating pans after 20 minutes.  Cakes are cooked when a skewer inserted into cake comes out clean.
  • Cool on wire racks for 20 minutes and then turn out of tins. Allow to cool completely.
  • Cake can be successfully frozen by wrapping well in cling wrap.

For cupcakes, fill cases only half full – they rise a lot!  Bake for 20-25minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.






Comments

Domesblissity said…
That's just too much Di. Absolutely beautiful. I bet your 'nearly' MIL loved it if she loves quilling. You're just too clever.

Anne xx
Unknown said…
Thanks Anne - she did. It was almost a shame to cut it - we had to take the 'tablecloth' off in order to slice it - but it was all worth it once we tasted it. Seriously try this recipe one day!
Victoria Mische said…
Awesome! What a lovely table cloth cake! Yum Yum!

Popular posts from this blog

My blog is making me fat

Temptation lurks everywhere. It’s official. My blog is making me fat. It’s also keeping my house messy since I started prioritising writing and baking over vacuuming and putting away laundry. In fact it’s happening right now – I’ve slept in because I stayed up to watch the new Kennedy’s drama on ABC and then wanted to ‘quickly’ check in to see if there were any new messages or comments. Before I know it its really late and that coffee I had after lunch has kicked in, giving me caffeine-induced heart palpitations, delaying sleep even further. Mr Di-licious (bless him) allowed me to sleep in and delivered a latte to my bedside. There’s a bowl of porridge waiting for me on the kitchen bench, ready to be reheated while I turn on my laptop and think about my next post. I used to get up early and go to the gym before breakfast but lately I’ve just been too tired. You know you’ve been MIA when you get notified about a trainer leaving and you’ve absolutely no idea who they’re talk

Recipe rant

This is not a macaron Donna I did something yesterday that I'm not very proud of. I ranted on Twitter and Facebook about a bad recipe experience and named and shamed the culprit. This morning I felt a little ashamed for my lack of manners.  But then I got some feedback from friends and fans that they too had had a bad experience with the recipe and agreed it wasn't up to scratch. If the situation were reversed, I'd be mortified.  But then again, I'm a little voice in the blogging net-osphere. The magazine/author I targeted is a household name with 10+ years standing. I guess what really gets my goat is that the magazine blatantly promotes the fact that they test and retest the recipes to make sure that they're perfect. I followed the recipe to the letter and even I could see that the wheels were coming off early in the piece.  But I was following their recipe and I persevered. In the end I ended up with flat, grainy meringues, not beautiful macarons.

Cute owl cupcake toppers

Hoot Hoot!! How cute are these adorable owl cupcake toppers? I whipped these up last week for a special surprise birthday delivery for my niece. I've been making cupcakes for Hannah's birthdays for the last three years.  Its always interesting to look back at photos of earlier decorating efforts - I've come a long way.  Last year was sort of the p ièce de résistance   - the famed Golden Snitch cupcakes for her Harry Potter themed party. This year we were getting ready for our epic drive to Byron Bay for my sister's wedding , so we didn't make it to Bendigo.  So no Di-licious cupcakes for Hannah.  At least, that's what she thought! Last week I arranged to come and stay the night with Olive and I brought along half a dozen cute owl cupcakes - SURPRISE! We both agree that the embossed ones make the greatest impact but the plain pink ones are cute too. I re-purposed a scrapbooking card embosser to create the embossing effect (cheaper than the cak