Skip to main content

Celebrating 17 May

It's Norway's national holiday today - hurrah!

Whilst my Norwegian family were getting ready to head out to see the annual parade, back here in suburban Melbourne I held my own special celebration, dressing up Olive and baking a traditional treat.

See this picture - that's me and my sister outside our old home in Sandefjord, on our way to the parade. I think I was 2.  The dress I'm wearing is called a bunad.   Based on traditional folk costumes, every region of Norway has their own special colours,  embrodiery and accessories.

Fast forward 35 years and here's my daughter wearing that very dress and hat (and waving the same flag, albeit not quite so new looking now).  I love that my mum has preserved these touchstones of our culture.

This year my parents are actually in Norway for my cousin's wedding and timed their arrival to be there for today's festivities.

Rather than miltary parades, school children march through the town waving flags and shouting Hipp Hipp Hurrah.

I'm reliably told that the day was lovely and warm and the parade was fantastic. One day I'll take Olive and Mr Di-licious.

Dress ups aside, today was also the perfect excuse to bake something that is truely Norwegian to me: sweet cardamom scented buns, filled with custard, also known affectionatley as school buns (skoler brod).


It's funny, I searched high and low for a recipe for these buns online (quite succesfully in the end) but it turns out I already had it in one of my own cookbooks. 

Happily for me the recipes match, making me confident that by sending you to the lovely Siri at The Transplanted Baker, you will find an authentic recipe (and I can be a little lazy and not type it out).

Using a spoon to create hole for the custard
These delightful buns are actually quite easy to bake and make a good starting project for working with yeast. 

My only regret was that I didn't make 24 smaller buns instead of the 12 whoppers I ended up with.  They didn't quite cook all the way through under the custard but this was more noticeable when eating them still slightly warm. 

I've shared some process photos to illustrate how to fill the buns with custard before baking (another first for di-licious).

Filled with homemade vanilla custard

Baked buns straight out of the oven

School buns are perfect with a cup of black coffee (Norway's national drink and pastime) or glass of milk.

The hardest part is stopping at just one!

Thanks for allowing me to indulge in a little nationalistic pride.

My bookshelf baking challenge this week will also be a taste of Norway - stay tuned!

Hipp hipp hurra for 17 Mai!



The reluctant patriot

Comments

Sarah said…
Oh your daughter could not be cuter. Lovely recipe and great post!
Those pictures are just DARLING! Especially the reluctant patriot. I've had similar cardamom custard buns in Finland and they are delicious! Happy National Day!
Glad 17 mai !!!! I am so glad to see that you were able to make the skoleboller! :) They look really nice! Your daughter is adorable!
siri said…
Well done! Looks like they turned out nice, I always debate whether to make 12 mega-sized buns or 24 dainty ones. I guess the large ones always win- they do look impressive and can make any child (or adult, for that matter) swoon. You'll have to give your mom a pat on the back for taking such good care of your little girl bunad- I love the first photo from your childhood in that great vogn.
ohh those pictures are so cute! and what yummy looking buns!
Jon said…
Wow! Between you and Siri I truly believe I can gain weight just by looking at the pictures! And if the worse happens, I will die with a smile on my face.
Unknown said…
Thanks everyone. I'm really feeling the love right now! xxx
Miss Adriennely said…
If you were to open up your own bakery, this would sell like hot stuff! it looks really good!
Anonymous said…
I showed your blog to Lisbet(& George) they loved it, especially the skolebrod.
Love
Dad

Popular posts from this blog

My blog is making me fat

Temptation lurks everywhere. It’s official. My blog is making me fat. It’s also keeping my house messy since I started prioritising writing and baking over vacuuming and putting away laundry. In fact it’s happening right now – I’ve slept in because I stayed up to watch the new Kennedy’s drama on ABC and then wanted to ‘quickly’ check in to see if there were any new messages or comments. Before I know it its really late and that coffee I had after lunch has kicked in, giving me caffeine-induced heart palpitations, delaying sleep even further. Mr Di-licious (bless him) allowed me to sleep in and delivered a latte to my bedside. There’s a bowl of porridge waiting for me on the kitchen bench, ready to be reheated while I turn on my laptop and think about my next post. I used to get up early and go to the gym before breakfast but lately I’ve just been too tired. You know you’ve been MIA when you get notified about a trainer leaving and you’ve absolutely no idea who they’re talk

Recipe rant

This is not a macaron Donna I did something yesterday that I'm not very proud of. I ranted on Twitter and Facebook about a bad recipe experience and named and shamed the culprit. This morning I felt a little ashamed for my lack of manners.  But then I got some feedback from friends and fans that they too had had a bad experience with the recipe and agreed it wasn't up to scratch. If the situation were reversed, I'd be mortified.  But then again, I'm a little voice in the blogging net-osphere. The magazine/author I targeted is a household name with 10+ years standing. I guess what really gets my goat is that the magazine blatantly promotes the fact that they test and retest the recipes to make sure that they're perfect. I followed the recipe to the letter and even I could see that the wheels were coming off early in the piece.  But I was following their recipe and I persevered. In the end I ended up with flat, grainy meringues, not beautiful macarons.

Cute owl cupcake toppers

Hoot Hoot!! How cute are these adorable owl cupcake toppers? I whipped these up last week for a special surprise birthday delivery for my niece. I've been making cupcakes for Hannah's birthdays for the last three years.  Its always interesting to look back at photos of earlier decorating efforts - I've come a long way.  Last year was sort of the p ièce de résistance   - the famed Golden Snitch cupcakes for her Harry Potter themed party. This year we were getting ready for our epic drive to Byron Bay for my sister's wedding , so we didn't make it to Bendigo.  So no Di-licious cupcakes for Hannah.  At least, that's what she thought! Last week I arranged to come and stay the night with Olive and I brought along half a dozen cute owl cupcakes - SURPRISE! We both agree that the embossed ones make the greatest impact but the plain pink ones are cute too. I re-purposed a scrapbooking card embosser to create the embossing effect (cheaper than the cak