Skip to main content

Flight of the Golden Snitches



I have been making cupcakes for my niece Hannah's birthday for the last couple of years. This year she wanted a Harry Potter theme.

I have a small confession to make here - I have never read or watched Harry Potter anything. There is a back story to this but lets just say I can't. Harry Potter cupcakes, OK cool, I thought. Then she announced that she wanted Golden Snitches - what???

Anyway, brief lesson in Harry Potter folklore (there are university courses in the UK for this stuff now!) - Golden Snitches are a golden, walnut-sized ball with wings used in a semi-contact sport called Quidditch, apparently very popular with witches.

Ok - so she wants round balls with wings, coloured gold on top of cupcakes. I can do this.

One of the things I love best about cake decorating are the toys, I mean tools. This project allowed me to add a few more things to my arsenal. I tracked down a wing cutter and veiner to pattern the wings online at Iced Affair (arrived within 2 days! Really prompt service!)



I made the wings first with yellow modelling paste. (Yellow is a better colour base for edible gold paint.) To create movement in the wings, I laid them in round moulds (painting palettes).

For the round bodies I first tried rolling balls of fondant, but I really struggled to get them smooth and even. Walking down the confectionery aisle at the supermarket, I wondered if there was something already round that I could use. That's when I saw the Raffaello chocolates. Initially I only planned to rub off the loose coconut, but I accidentally rubbed off the whole chocolate layer leaving a perfectly spherical wafer ball. Perfect! (Raffaellos do contain nuts so if you're considering using them for your own decorating project, make sure you mention this.)

The balls were easy to paint. The wings were easy to paint. I used yellow royal icing to attach the wings to the bodies and then touched up the joins with more edible gold paint.



I used Toba Garrett's Decorator's Buttercream recipe for the icing. Purple is what I call a 'thirsty' colour - you need to add a lot of colouring gel to get a dark colour so I added another half bag of icing sugar to get the right consistency.

For assembly I piped a swirl of buttercream on top of vanilla cupcakes, placed the snitch on top and dusted liberally with gold disco lustre.

At the party I set the cakes up in a 5 x 5 grid on a square cake board and placed gold candles in the middle cupcake.



What do you think? I think they look pretty di-licious myself. And Hannah was delighted.

Comments

jenni merriman said…
they tasted fantastic di, you are so talented.
jen
Haha I love it! As a massive Harry Potter fan I would be all over these! :D
Alison Langley said…
Now you need to read Harry Potter! You can borrow the series from me if you like... ;)
Nice, I like how you found the Raffellos worked to make the round gold balls, very inventive. Very di-licious indeed.
Anonymous said…
Dear Di,

Just wanted to say love your cakes. I did read your profile and said that u were a non apprentice chef. What is that and how do you go about it. I am 40 years and looking to get back into workforce after 5 kids. I love to cook and would love to do so as a profession. but not sure if im too old etc. Would love to hear from you regarding this.
jacquie

Wednesday, 01 September, 2010

Post a Comment



Links to this post
Create a Link
Unknown said…
Hi Jacquie.
I applied for a Certificate IV(non-apprentice) in Kitchen Operations at my local TAFE. It gives you all the skills to work in or run a commercial kitchen (but you wouldn't be able to apply for chef positions).

The TAFE was open to older applicants but really wanted to make sure that I was realistic about life in a commercial kitchen.

Like you, I loved to cook and wanted to do it for a career. My own journey took a right turn when I was encouraged to transfer into the apprentice program - I got a great 1st year apprentice position in a quality restaurant but then fell pregnant. The experience helped me decide that I wasn't really keen to work in a restaurant but I loved desserts. I never finished my formal training but I continue to be a self-paced student of life and cake-focussed websites, courses and forums.

If you're keen to find out more, I would check out the TAFE websites. Normally they do two intakes a year. Good luck!

Di

Popular posts from this blog

My blog is making me fat

Temptation lurks everywhere. It’s official. My blog is making me fat. It’s also keeping my house messy since I started prioritising writing and baking over vacuuming and putting away laundry. In fact it’s happening right now – I’ve slept in because I stayed up to watch the new Kennedy’s drama on ABC and then wanted to ‘quickly’ check in to see if there were any new messages or comments. Before I know it its really late and that coffee I had after lunch has kicked in, giving me caffeine-induced heart palpitations, delaying sleep even further. Mr Di-licious (bless him) allowed me to sleep in and delivered a latte to my bedside. There’s a bowl of porridge waiting for me on the kitchen bench, ready to be reheated while I turn on my laptop and think about my next post. I used to get up early and go to the gym before breakfast but lately I’ve just been too tired. You know you’ve been MIA when you get notified about a trainer leaving and you’ve absolutely no idea who they’re talk

Recipe rant

This is not a macaron Donna I did something yesterday that I'm not very proud of. I ranted on Twitter and Facebook about a bad recipe experience and named and shamed the culprit. This morning I felt a little ashamed for my lack of manners.  But then I got some feedback from friends and fans that they too had had a bad experience with the recipe and agreed it wasn't up to scratch. If the situation were reversed, I'd be mortified.  But then again, I'm a little voice in the blogging net-osphere. The magazine/author I targeted is a household name with 10+ years standing. I guess what really gets my goat is that the magazine blatantly promotes the fact that they test and retest the recipes to make sure that they're perfect. I followed the recipe to the letter and even I could see that the wheels were coming off early in the piece.  But I was following their recipe and I persevered. In the end I ended up with flat, grainy meringues, not beautiful macarons.

Cute owl cupcake toppers

Hoot Hoot!! How cute are these adorable owl cupcake toppers? I whipped these up last week for a special surprise birthday delivery for my niece. I've been making cupcakes for Hannah's birthdays for the last three years.  Its always interesting to look back at photos of earlier decorating efforts - I've come a long way.  Last year was sort of the p ièce de résistance   - the famed Golden Snitch cupcakes for her Harry Potter themed party. This year we were getting ready for our epic drive to Byron Bay for my sister's wedding , so we didn't make it to Bendigo.  So no Di-licious cupcakes for Hannah.  At least, that's what she thought! Last week I arranged to come and stay the night with Olive and I brought along half a dozen cute owl cupcakes - SURPRISE! We both agree that the embossed ones make the greatest impact but the plain pink ones are cute too. I re-purposed a scrapbooking card embosser to create the embossing effect (cheaper than the cak